Thursday, March 23, 2006

Relief

Yesterday was kind of a relieving day. My first actual day of work (we've been training since Monday) was last night, and it wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be, I guess. However, my supervisor informed us that we'd be working overtime on Saturdays which will translate into me getting home around 11 pm on Friday night and then turning around and heading back to Pearson at 7 am the next morning. I didn't bitch too much last night, but I'm not going to do this more than once over the duration of the project. I refuse to make myself miserable no matter how much I need the money.

The other relieving and, much more pleasant, thing that happened yesterday is I talked Ph.d Guy. I say it was relieving because he said he would call and didn't, and then I had sent him an e-mail and heard nothing. Anyway, I decided to call him and then leave the ball in his court (I felt like I would come across as desperate if I kept trying to contact him and heard nothing back). I know what I'm about to say is going to make me sound like a stereotypically overly analytical girl, but I was starting to think that maybe I said or did something stupid on our last date that resulted in him avoiding me completely. Then, I conjured up all these ideas about the numerous things that are wrong with me (not smart/pretty/mature/put together enough) that would cause Ph.d Guy not to like me. I know, I know, I'm horribly insecure.


Thankfully, none of those things are true because he called me back and we had a really nice chat. We're going to try to get together next week. I hate to say this because I don't want to get hung up about seeing someone who may or may not be all that interested in me (I can't tell, honestly), but I'm looking forward to it.

How can you tell if someone likes you anyway? It's kind of an inexact science, to say the least. At one time I was good at sensing when someone was interested but now, I just never know. There have been a couple of incidents in the last two years that have really led me to believe I'm not as good at reading men as I thought I was, unfortunately. God, listen to me. I sound like I'm in 8th grade ("Do you think he likes me likes me or just likes me?").

2 comments:

Onyah said...

When did he become "PhD Guy?" Did I miss that? The clever name that you give the boy you like when you talk about him on your blog is very important. PhD Guy is good - it immediately lets everyone know that he is most likely smarter than they are.

rld said...

I guess giving someone a name on your blog is important, especially if that person doesn't know that you're writing about them and you're not quite ready to tell them.

He's getting a PhD in math, which is quite a break from the norm for me, seeing as how I have dated English and Philosophy majors almost exclusively. He is also most definatley smarter than most people I know, although he's totally not obnoxious about it all.

I fear that he's going to stumble upon my blog and freak out. I'm not so sure I would someone writing about me.