Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Happy International Women's Day!

Happy International Women's Day, everybody!

Maybe I'll celebrate by driving by the local Planned Parenthood and throwing tomatoes at protesters or something feminist and pro-woman like that.

In all seriousness, I really do love this holiday. In fact, I would say we should celebrate it in the U.S. except we'd turn it into just another overly commercialized holiday where we're obligated to buy each other presents. Or, in this case, men are obligated to do buy and do things for the women in their lives. It would be a pity to see it turn into that, so maybe it's best if it remains yet another day that those fun loving Eastern Europeaners celebrate.

I called Ukraine and talked to Oksana, my Ukrainian (as I like to refer to her) today. During the course of our conversation I started stumbling over my words a bit, prompting her to comment about my Russian worsening, which made me cringe internally. She's right, though, my Russian wasn't great when as I was talking to her. However, in my own defense (and as anyone who knows me would tell you, I rarely come to my own defense), I was speaking in Russian over the phone which I hate. That, and I was afraid she'd give me a guilt trip about not calling her on Orthodox Christmas (she didn't). Instead, she went on and on about how she was the luckiest person in the world: she'd gotten so many nice phone calls from so many people and now, to top it all off, she'd received one from me. Then she told me how much she missed me....three times.

So, all in all, it's been a pretty good day. It's not like most of the International Women's Days I've spent in the past around a table drinking shot after shot of vodka and shoveling food in my mouth but I'll take it.








2 comments:

Onyah said...

I must confess that International Women's Day is a holiday that I have never celebrated, and am pretty much wholly unfamiliar with. I suppose that's sad, huh. I remember when they created Earth Day, and I remember thinking that I'd do something earthy every year after that, but it, uh, never happened.

I finally created a Blogger account so I could comment on your anti-anonymous blog. Sorry it took me so long!

rld said...

That's very sweet of you to creat a blogger account so you could comment on my non-secret blog. I appreciate that....and I love that now, every time you post, I can see your picure! It's like you're here. I'm even talking to you as I write this.

I'm a dork, I know.