Sunday, April 02, 2006

Madness

Wow, this has been by far the most eventful week in a long long time. In fact, I'm not sure where I should start with my update.

I guess I should start with my ridiculously complicated efforts to get into graduate school. Okay, so on Wednesday I got a call from Carole, the woman I spent a great deal of time talking to about the Trinity Fellowship and who, eventually was the one to call me and tell me I just wasn't cool enough to be chosen as a Trinity Fellow. So, anyway, Carole informed me that I might have convinced those fools to Marquette to let me in to the Public Service program there! I say "might" because I ultimately, need to get officially admitted by the woman in charge of the Public Service program at the graduate college--she's the one who has the final say about who's admitted and who's not (Carole, is just in charge of the fellowship I almost received, not the Public Service grad program). However, the guy in charge of the non-profit specialization I'd be focusing on within the Public Service program says there's definately a place for me in the program. See, most of the folks in the Public Service program with a specialization in the non-profit sector, are Trinity Fellows, which means only a few spots are left over for non-Trinity Fellows.

The catch is in order to be admitted into the program I'd need to find a part-time job at a non-profit in Milwaukee in order to fulfill the internship requirement which is required for graduation from the Public Service program. This would mean I would need to find a non-profit that will take me on for roughly 18 hours per week during the school year and 40 during the summer. I'm not sure if Marquette will help me set that up. I would think that they would, but I'm not sure and neither was Carole. Honestly, the idea of trying to find an internship on my own is a little intimidating and kinda thrilling at the same time.

Carole kept reiterating to me that nothing was official, that I needed to hear from the woman in charge of the Public Service program before anything further happened with my application, blah blah blah. When I pointed out that I've e-mailed this woman twice and called once in the last 2 weeks, Carole said by not hearing from this woman in the Public Service program that I was, ostensibly being told I "would just have to wait" (upon hearing this, I felt my patience literally almost snap). This did not please me so much, but I didn't really say much other than to point out in the absolute nicest way possible that it's almost April, and I need an answer. Soon. I'm not sure how this could get more confusing.

So, um, I'm not sure if I should be happy I might have gotten in, displeased that I'll just have to wait to hear for sure, or worried about finding a non-profit to work at. I'm sure it will work itself out, but I'm a little anxious.


The next crazy thing that happened was I found out my dad is coming home from China for three to five months on Tuesday. I was almost speechless when my mom told me. I'm not sure what's going on, but I think he may just need a rest from the stress of living in a country where he can say little more than, "I'd like a pack of Marlboros, please," along with being totally homesick. It's been almost two years since he's been home. I'm a little concerned about what kind of emotional state he's going to be in when I get home. That, and I'm afraid he's going to expect me to spend all my time with him, and then, of course, lay one of those infamous guilt trips on me when I don't, in fact, do that. Why can't I have a good relationship with BOTH of my parents, and not just one?


The last thing that happened was PhD guy basically told me he wasn't interested in me as more than a friend, which kinda sucks. I tried to get an explanation out of him as to why, but wasn't able to discern much other than he's really really busy (crazy ridiculously busy, busier than any one else I know busy) and he didn't feel "that way" about me. I'm not sure how you can determine that after going out on one date and lunch with someone, but, um, okay. I mean, we have these long fabulous conversations and I make him laugh and we have tons in common, but, well, okay. He must not think I'm cute. That has to be it. What else could it be? We're going out for dinner and a movie as friends today though, so at least he's being cool and mature about it.


So, that's been my week thus far. I've also been really really sick (I have a terrible head cold that I'm having a hard time kicking) and haven't been sleeping or eating very much at all. I miss you all very very much and if I haven't heard from you in a while please please e-mail or call me. I'm going to try to keep this blog updated this week. Keep your fingers and toes crossed about Marquette!!!

No comments: