Tuesday, April 25, 2006

Annoyed

I have finally found the one thing more annoying than applying to graduate school: applying for a federal job. Yup, I have managed to find, apply for and endure yet another long and highly annoying application process. I'm getting really good at applying for stuff. I'm also starting to loose steam for doing such things.

I'm applying for a job as a recruiter with Peace Corps. I would be shocked if I got a call for an interview and flabbergasted if I actually got the job. Seriously. Although, on paper I have a lot of things they're looking for: sales experience (EASY--8 years of retail experience), public speaking and training experience (see: supervisor experience at aforementioned retail job, test supervisor experience and PCV experience), as well as being a RPCV (duh).

I don't know why I don't think I won't get a call back....I guess I'm just trying not to get my hopes up. That and if I did get a call for an interview I'd really get my hopes up, only to have them dashed by some stiff in a suit in one of the Peace Corps Washington offices.

Seriously, though, I think I would be a really good recruiter. I'm enthusiastic, fairly friendly, a good judge of character (I'd be interviewing PC applicants and evaluating their potential as possible volunteers), and I can speak with experience and authority on every possible fucked up thing that could happen to one while serving in the Peace Corps. Medical Emergencies? Done it. Awful primary assignment? Been there. Political instability in host country? Seen it. Enduring sexism and lookism on a massive scale? Don't get me started....

In other news, I have a beer drinking engagement with a very pleasant young man in IC tomorrow. He's a graduate student at the University of Iowa who I started chatting with on-line and seems like a nice enough guy (yes, I met him via match). He seems very low key. We'll see what happens.

I think I may have scared Travel Guy off. Oh well.

4 comments:

bwp said...

"Fairly friendly"? Where did you come up with that? ;-)

By the way, completely unrelated, I'm officially going to a Sigur Ros concert here in Chicago on May 9th at the Civic Opera House. I'm kinda excited about it...!!! Also found out that you can not only watch most of their videos online, but also a 134-minute concert in Iceland. Pretty cool!

bwp said...

In all seriousness, Robinka, you WOULD be a great recruiter. Quite possibly greater than me. Good Luck!!

rld said...

Aw, shucks....you're making me blush, Brian. Nice touch with the Robinka, by the way. Competing with you for the same job is a little weird, though. If you get it I'll totally be happy for you. Promise!

bwp said...

I just want to add that, by saying "get a call back," it sounds like you're auditioning for a play. Maybe Will Shakespeare was right.