Friday, April 07, 2006

ACCEPTED!

That's right, baby, I've been accepted into Marquette University's Master's of Public Service program. Hot DAMN!

I was notified of my acceptance on Monday. I literally did a little jig talking to the head of the department, who was extremely nice to me and seemed a little confused that I hadn't received official notice of my acceptance yet.

Since then I've talked to the head of the non-profit department (that's my specialization will be within the Public Service program) and received some sort of disheartening news: there is absolutely no scholarship or graduate assistantships I can apply for to help finance my education. None.

That means, basically a combination of four things have to happen:

First, I have to find a non-profit in Milwaukee that will pay me well enough to at least partially cover my expenses. Finding a non-profit is essential--working at one is a requirement of Marquette's PUBS program (see how easily I can throw around acronyms?). This has to happen.

Second, I need to see if my very wealthy and extremely stingy grandma will loan me several thousands of dollars so that I won't have to sell my soul to the federal government in order to cover my education. I don't know if she'll cover this (yup, she might actually turn me down). I would much rather borrow money from her than the government because she won't charge me interest or late fees.

Third, I'll need to apply for federal financial aid. Do I need to explain this?

Fourth, I will need to start selling organs.

So, there you have it folks. I've been accepted but I'm not sure I can go. I'm still putting in an application to U of Minnesota, which has WAY more scholarship/fellowship and graduate assistantship opportunities than Marquette, but is actually kind of expensive for out-of-staters. In fact, I'm half Minnesotan anyway, so I think I should get in-state tuition by default.

ISN'T IT COOL I GOT ACCEPTED, THOUGH? SOMEBODY WANTS ME!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! I get dibs on your right kidney.

bwp said...

I'll take the left.

TB said...

Congratulations! Have fun at Marquette!

Onyah said...

Aw, the federal student loan interest rates are at an all-time low - just grab as much as you can! Given in-school deferrment, your grace period, out-of-school deferrment, forbearance, and gradutated payments, it practically like you don't ever have to pay it back! Except... you do. Someday. And apparently once you get to that day, they don't fuck around. I'm blissfully ignoring that eventuality right now.

Congratulations on getting accepted. Is Milwaukee a party town? I hear they make beer there.