Thursday, April 13, 2006

Why you should ignore my GRE score and let me into your program, in 400 words or less.

Yes, that's right, my blog has now degenerated into a forum for getting me into grad school.

Below, is an optional essay I wrote for the Master's of Public Health Administration and Policy program at the U of Minnesota (Go Badgers! Let me into your school, please!). I am very very tired right now and I honestly need someone, ANYONE, to read this essay and let me know if it sucks or not. I'm sending my application in tomorrow.

I'm not sure if the first paragraph sounds snotty or not. My Letter of Intent starts out with a conversation I had with a prostitute in Ukraine, so I don't want to come across as a total...freak, I guess. I do, however, truly believe I'm cursed with inability to take standardized tests so I wanted to include that in my essay, but try and not make it sound like an excuse.

Anyway, please, let me know what y'all think. Like I said, I'm sending it tomorrow. Here it is:



Optional Essay

Some people are blessed with the gift of words; they can compose beautiful, melodious pieces of writing that beckon the reader to read further. Others are blessed with ability to understand and speak foreign languages; they can easily remember and assimilate new words and sounds into the repertoire of their vocabulary without much of a problem. Even more people are skilled at taking standardized tests; they stay calm under pressure, think clearly throughout the duration of the test, and understand intuitively how to approach these sorts of exams. Unfortunately, I am not one of those people.
The one concern that the admissions committee may have in regards to my application would be my quantitative score on the Graduate Record Exam. While I completely understand the committee’s concern given some of the math requirements, (particularly the Biostatistics requirement), I must fulfill in order to receive my degree, I feel as though it does not reflect my mathematical abilities, nor does it reflect my ability to process and understand statistical data. In fact, after being accepted into the University of Minnesota’s Public Health Administration and Policy program, I am willing to enroll in any mathematics or statistics class in order to better prepare myself for the quantitative component of the MPH program. Furthermore, I am willing to be admitted on a probationary period if the committee feels that is the only way they can admit me to the MPH program.
I believe there are quite a few strengths to my application that should outweigh my quantitative score on the GRE. Both my written and verbal communication skills are excellent. I’ve proven through both my extensive volunteer experience, both in the U.S. and abroad, that I can work well with people of different ages and backgrounds from all over the world. I have experience and knowledge about the field I hope to work in after graduation. Most importantly though, I’m driven by and passionate about both my potential studies at the University of Minnesota and my future work.
Before I decided to apply to the University of Minnesota’s MPHAP program, I thought very hard about the serious academic, professional and intellectual work I was about to undertake. I understand that graduate level academic work is arduous and, at times, very challenging. If I did not think I was fit intellectually for it, I would not have applied. I am confident that I can meet all the challenges the University of Minnesota’s Masters of Public Health Administration and Policy program sets before me.

No comments: