Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Matchiness

Yesterday was the last day of the project I've been working on for over a month. I'm so so happy it's over.

Today, I'm going to a whole lotta sittin' around, reading and preparing cover letters to accompany the resumes I will be sending out to part-time non-profits in Milwaukee. I'm not sure what I'm going to say in the aforementioned cover letters to explain that my employment at said non-profit is critical to my admission to the Public Service program. It's kind of weird situation. The woman I've been in contact with at Marquette told me I should some how work in that I might be open to staying in Milwaukee after I finish my degree and, circumstances permitting, at their organization. At first I thought that was a good idea, but then I thought, "I'm applying to $12-$13 per hour part time jobs. Do they honestly expect me to stay on after I finish my degree?" That seems a little unreasonable. I think it's pretty cool that they'd pretty much have me locked into their organization for almost 2 years. I mean, I just want to alert these organizations to my situation and that doing things like looking at their budget and applying for a grant for their organization is part of my employment there. The question is this; how do I word it in a cover letter so that it's clear but not overly verbose? How do I convince them this is a good idea? Just play the I-was-a-Peace-Corps-volunteer-and-you-should-totally-hire-me-based-on-my-good-will card?

Speaking of playing cards, I decided to bite the bullet and post a profile on Match.com, and good Lord, have I gotten a lot of lonely Midwestern men e-mailing me. It's fucking insane! Honestly ( and this is not a judgment on anyone else), I felt kinda weird doing this whole on-line dating thing, like it was a last resort, but it seems to be working out okay. I mean, I need to give it a chance, right?

Anyway, playing the whole Peace Corps card thing on Match is really working out well. I think the men who have e-mailed me are under the mistaken impression that I'm sort of saint or something. I mean, sure, I'm a nice girl, but the do-gooderness aspect of saying I'm a returned volunteer just adds a whole new dimension to it. That, and I think that despite the fact that I've said I'm not interested in someone who's intent on outward appearances, they like my picture. That pisses me off a little, I'll be honest. You should like someone for who they are; being intent on how someone looks is very eighth grade. I want nothing to do with that.

No comments: