Friday, June 16, 2006

I used the word "smack" twice in this post

Whenever I read the blogs of people I don't know I feel like a peeping Tom. Like, somehow, if they found out I was reading their blogs they'd put the smack down on me. They'd say something like, "Who the fuck do you think you are reading my blog? Do I know you? NO! Then stop puttin' your nose into my bidness, bitch! Get a life!"

Nevertheless, I spent about an hour this morning cruising the blogosphere. I like to read the blogs of currently serving Peace Corps Volunteers but they're so rarely updated that it's hard for me to get super excited about reading them and check them every day like I do Ellen's blog, or JP's blog.

Despite the fact that it may seem like I'm not doing jack, I've actually been fairly productive. I've found some leads on apartment in the Minneapolis area, e-mailed some potential roommates and fretted endlessly about how the hell I'm going to pay for all this (I won't receive word of my financial aid award from U of M until late June /early July!). Note to any of you who see me: please smack me upside the head or shake me if I start spazzing over the cost of graduate school. Remind me that the money I'm investing in this is worthwhile and will pay off both financially, intellectually, professionally and, very possibly, emotionally in the future. I should think of this as downpayment on my future. I came up with that myself, isn't that good? Huh? God, I'm smart....that's why U of Minnesota wants me.


I hope you all have a great weekend. Pray for sun!

5 comments:

Onyah said...

Forgive me if what I am about to tell you is so obvious, it’s offensive, but you’ve been out of the country, so it’s hard to tell, you know? The bestest place in the world to find apartments or roommates is craigslist, and they do have a Twin Cities page: http://minneapolis.craigslist.org. Good luck!

rld said...

Actually, I've been looking mainly on craigslist. The problem is I really don't want a roommate. I want to live by myself, however, until I hear word about my settlement or money starts falling from the sky, I'm probably going to have to suck it up and get one anyways. I did see an ad posted by a woman with a distinctly Russian name. Living with a Russian would be the ultimate in ironies.

Anonymous said...

Just wanted to say that I randomly have come across your blog one day a month or so ago...when you first met Science Guy....I hope you don't feel intruded on...you can SMACK me if you wish....Congrats on getting into the U of M...I'm a Mpls person myself and LOVE it here. GOOD LUCK!

rld said...

COOL! Does this mean you're a fan, or, better yet a STALKER?! That would be awesome.

Do you have good suggestions for places to live around the U of M area? Any particuliarly sinister areas of town to avoid? Tell me, tell me, tell me!

Just and only me. said...

Just a fan right now...I can look into my schedule for the stalker question...If I can fit it in I'll let you know.

I live in the burbs....NO NO NO Brooklyn Park or Brooklyn Center...if you go towards burb area....LOTS of GHETTO. Uptown is great if you don't mind us gays.