Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Study Avoidance

The last few days I've been studying so much for an upcoming Epidemiology test I have on Monday, I think my head is about to explode. Other than that, though, I haven't been up to anything out of the ordinary.

I did, however, just find out that the program at the U of Iowa I'm applying to for this spring (the Global Health Studies program) is now a part of Occupational and Enviromental Health. What does this matter, you ask? Good question.

Because there's an RPCV (Returned Peace Corps Volunteer) that is a professor on the admissions committee and believes in my talent and commitment to public health and is willing to speak to the admissions committee on my behalf, that's why. This professor, in addition to being really cool, and, I think, agreeing with me that the Community and Behavioral Health fuckers are stupid for turning me down this fall for something as stupid as my math score, seems to understand that if I can do two years in Ukraine, I can do graduate school.

So, I've felt pretty confident about getting accepted into the Global Health Studies program for this spring. There's just one problem....

Scientist is most likely graduating with his PhD in July. He's not sure where he wants to go or when or to do what exactly, but there's a chance it will not be in Iowa. I don't know if it's a good chance or a small chance or what, but it exists. This, of course, throws a kink into my plans to finish school here, 'cause I'm going with him. Staying together is something we both want to make happen and are willing to sacrifice to make happen.

This, of course, means I'll start a graduate program here, hopefully transfer to a program with an even better program somewhere else and finish my degree there. I have mixed feelings about leaving. Getting out of Iowa is not a bad thing (no offense, Iowa or Iowans), however, paying out-of-state tuition is. I'm not comfortable sponging off of Scientist: I want to be independant and make, or, at least, borrow my own money, but some of the places he's looking at will be outrageously expensive for me to study at, and thus make NOT depending on him an impossiblity.

So, I'm mulling all this over. Ultimately, it's still to early to worry about where I'll be going, but I told Scientist I need to have a short list of possible places so I can apply to relevant schools in the nearish future (like, December).

Just when you think you have a plan, your boyfriend's PhD fucks it all up. Grrr.....


No comments: