Thursday, August 17, 2006

ARGHHH!

I know I probably shouldn't be posting anything when I'm so damn grumpy, but screw it.

I had a really bad shift today. First, I was 8 minutes late to work; I know that's not a huge deal or anything, and my "supervisor" didn't care, but I pride myself on being on-time. I hate running late. It seems to throw the rest of my day off; which, funnily enough, is exactly what happened today.

The second crappy thing that happened was the weather. This wouldn't be such a big deal, but, as anyone in retail or food service knows, drastic changes in weather can adversely affect business (i.e. business picks up a lot or slows to a near stand still). Starting at about 7:15 am (I arrived at work at 6:30 am--can you believe that shit?!) we had no less than 20 people in line at any given moment. This wouldn't have been so bad except my "supervisor" decided to be a total fucking bitch for the entirety of my shift.

I would be willing to forgive her for her bad mood except a) she never apologized, b) she made me miss my bus at the end of my shift, c) she seemed to think she since she was having a bad day she could take it out on me and d) I don't get paid enough to put up with this shit. Really.

I think out of all the transgressions she made, taking her bad mood out on me was probably the worst of them all. You see, when I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ukraine I lived in a town with three other volunteers all of whom felt that taking their bad days out on me or other people was completely and totally legitimate. It got to the point where between the three of them someone was always snapping at someone else, making being around all three of them really unpleasant.

I mean, come on. We all have to live, work, eat, breathe, and play together on this planet. Being nasty to a co-worker/spouse/parent/sibling/whoever because someone else was previously nasty to you is stupid. And inconsiderate. God, that drives me crazy.

Towards the end of my shift, after I had missed my bus because bitch girl was trying to figure out how I had screwed up the register (um, did I mention I've only been working at this fucking kiosk for a week and a half?), I paused to reflect on the fact that I'm working at exactly the same kind of job I was BEFORE I left for Peace Corps for less money. And I felt like screaming.

Next time, I'm kicking some ass and taking names. I'm not taking any shit from anyone not old enough to drink or who doesn't remember the release of Thriller, and that's that.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

ah robin, you DO make me laugh! i remember Thriller, so please, please, please dont kick my ass! as for your "rant", i do believe you are totally justified and while you may not have needed it, i am always here for justification! There IS no excuse for poor behavior, on the job, with family or friends- just none. and YET. people seem to think it's fine, especially if you can "pay it forward" as it were. i have no time for that either!
as for you being at the same job you were at BEFORE you left, no sweat- this is just a stepping stone- THERE IS FORWARD MOMENTUM! how could there NOT be? it's YOU, robin- you dont EVER do anything besides move forward! hope you are well otherwise lady!

bwp said...

I also remember Thriller, Robin.

I have a feeling we'll have a lot of moments/stories/recollections/two cents in the future that will start with the words "When I was a Peace Corps Volunteer in Ukraine."

And Anne's right, there is forward momentum, plus you may be making the same or less money, but you are by no means the same person or in the same place in your life.

Anonymous said...

Robin! hey, just found you via Greg's blog.

rld said...

Little Dan, is that you?!

Anonymous said...

Word.