Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Blessed

I'm not one to get all religious on people. In fact, overtly religious people make me terribly uncomfortable--something I was reminded of on the plane from Paris to Chicago when the women I was talking to kept bringing up God and "the Lord"--primarily because I never know what to say. Should I tell them I'd rather not talk about my ambivilous feelings towards church and organized religion? Should I tell them my knowledge of religion is horribly inadequate (this was clearly illustrated when I had to ask Brian, a preacher's kid, some really basic questions about the Bible when we went to see Saint Peter's remains) and I'd rather not talk about anything concerning religion because I'm afraid I'm going to say something really stupid?

That being said I guess 'blessed' would be the best way to describe how I've felt since I arrived home. People have been so kind, so interested in everything that's been going on in my life over the last few months. Honestly, I'm a little surprised. I expected everyone to ask me questions, don't get me wrong, but I guess I just assumed everyone would want the 5 minute wrap up of the last 2 years of my life. Then again, I've really only seen Jake since I got back, who doesn't really qualify as "everyone". Nevertheless, most of the Cedar Rapidians I know are pretty pleased to see me and seemed interested in getting together for coffee and/or drinks.

So, at the risk of sounding too cheesy and feel goody, I feel really lucky. I feel blessed. I know people's patience with my stories will eventually wear off, but for now, I'm going to sit back and enjoy all the attention.

No comments: