Monday, May 22, 2006

Working girl

Work has been more stressful than usual. As most of you know, I'm working as a supervisor at Pearson for the next few weeks on a project. The beginning of any new project kind of sucks; the scorers don't know what they're doing, I don't know what I'm doing (although I have to pretend like I do), there's mass confusion, etc. Nothing too unusal or unexpected.

Unfortunately, one thing I didn't expect was a jackass on my team (he's what you would call my 'subordinate', I guess) hitting on me in front of everyone, and, when I didn't respond the way he wanted, making a fool out of himself and embarrassing me. This is how it went down:

(Me and 45 year old subordinate discussing a paper)
Him: You know, if you weren't my supervisor I'd ask you out.
Me:(standing there, blinking, and in shock)
Him: You're suppose to say, "Oh no, that's okay."
Me: (feeble laugh, still in shock)

About two seconds after that took place, J (one of my two bosses), charged up and started scolding Jackass for misscoring a paper. I siezed that opportunity to slink off, but was inundated with questions by a scorer sitting near Jackass. J, after finishing his rather strenuous speech about how poorly Jackass was scoring then pulled me aside and proceeded to tell me that he had heard the entire exchange between me and Jackass (as did a bunch of people around us, I found out later) and would "totally back me up" in I went to HR about it. I honestly think he was more upset about it than I was.

I ended up not needing to go to HR, seeing as how the whole situation was taken out of my hands when H found out about it. It seems as though this isn't the first time Jackass has hit on his supervisor; in fact, he hit on the supervisor on the other team (my project is divided into three teams) repeatedly on a previous project. As a result she had requested he not be on her team, and thus he was put on mine.

And as if those two incidents alone didn't make him a big enough insensitive dickhead, I was told later that he was fired from his last job for having an affair with his boss's wife! Can you believe that shit? I thought that stuff only happened in on TV. Who would be stupid enough to sleep with their boss's wife....and then, once they've been fired from that job to continue to hit on women at their new job? Does this man only think with the head in his pants, for Christ's sakes?

Thankfully, today we had a re-ordering of teams, and Jackass is no longer my problem. I think I may go ahead and have a private conversation with HR about how I think they should strongly consider firing this man. Permanently. I'm actually surprised they haven't done it already.

1 comment:

Onyah said...

When I am in town, remind me to tell you the sexual harassment story from my current employer! It's a doozie.

See you soon!