Friday, May 12, 2006

I heart Federal Student Aid

Yesterday I received a letter from the Financial Aid office at Marquette. They want to give me almost $30,000 for my first year of graduate school there.

I thought receiving a letter that clearly stated in black and white how much I was really going to need to borrow (and eventually pay back) would flip me out, but it had just the opposite effect: I felt relieved. No matter what happens regarding my applications to the University of Iowa and the University of Minnesota, I know I can always go to Marquette.

I've pretty much decided that if I'm admitted to the University of Minnesota, I'll accept. I think....See, I say, er, write that, and suddenly I can think of 5 reasons why I should choose Marquette over Minnesota: it's a small school, by getting a degree focused on Public Service I'll be able to easily move into other areas of non-profit work, I'll get (some) more non profit experience at MU, Milwaukee will be cheaper than Minneapolis, and it would be nice to challenge myself yet again by moving TOTALLY out of my comfort zone to a city I've never even been to (unlike Minneapolis which is about as familiar to me as any city out of state can be because I spent time there as a child).

Getting that letter from Marquette also made me a teensy weensy bit sad. See, for all my bitching about being back home, it's been wonderful to be home and spend time with my mom and all you guys (this is about as close to a collective hug and kiss as I can give y'all via the internet, folks). I've hung out with all the people I love as well as made a number of new friends, none of which I could do if I were any place but Iowa.

I'm also unsure about what to do with the Scientist. I've been seeing him for only a few weeks, but I really like him. In fact, I think he's pretty fucking great, even if he is politically conservative (I know, it makes me cringe too). He's really smart, funny as hell, thoughtful, a great conversationalist, challenges me constantly and, well, he thinks I'm the shit. I was really up front with him about my plans to flee from the first time we met, but, well, now I'm starting to think it's not going to be so easy to just leave. Time won't make this any easier; it'll just complicate both of our feelings for each other. I'm not going to think about that now, though. I'm just going to have fun and enjoy his company.

No comments: