Monday, January 12, 2009

Unemployment

So, like I've said before, I just graduated almost exactly a month ago and thus far I've had little luck in the job department. It's frustrating, for obvious reasons, but also because I actually have a good amount of solid experience in my field both here and abroad (not to mention a lot of other work experience in teaching etc.)

Right before Thanksgiving I had an interview which went super well. The interviewer (who, I'm pretty darn sure actually made the hiring decisions) said to me, "Well, once you graduate, if you're interested in this position, we can see what we can do", and then, not 5 minutes later the other person sitting in on the interview told me (after they showed me around and introduced me to everyone who worked in the department) "We will definitely be giving you a call." I found out two weeks later they offered the position to someone else.

Now, I'm not going to take this personally (really), but why ya gotta go building my hopes up like that when you don't know for sure you can hire me?! "We'll definitely be giving you a call"?! That's a total tease.

I'm not yet at the position where I'm completely frustrated. I realize I just graduated. I realize we just got past the holiday season and no one hires right before the beginning of the year. I understand this is a terrible economy to be looking for a job in, but.....I have a feeling there are other reasons why I'm not getting calls back and they have nothing to do with me, my education, or experience. And I'm not going into them on a public forum like this. Not yet at least...

No comments: