Monday, January 19, 2009

A Glimmer of Hope

Not two days after I last posted about my frustration with not finding a job, I received a call asking me to come in for an interview. This position is with some people I know of, but don't actually "know" per se (as in, I'm sure the boss would recognize me right off the bat, but not necessarily know my name). I was encouraged to say the least.

The interview went well, but I could not get a read from the people conducting it. I hate that--I pride myself on picking up non-verbal cues and trusting my instinct (that comes from traveling: you learn to trust your 'gut' about people and places so not as to run into trouble), but I couldn't tell how well I was doing with either of them.

I must have done fairly well, because, when I emailed one of the interviewers later they said I would be hearing from them about a second interview (they'll be interviewing the top 3 candidates) by the end of this week. Now, when I read the email to Scientist he said it definitely sounded like I would be hearing from them. However, given my past experience I was a little wary of reading into anything.

The problem is I've applied to 3 other jobs, two of which I KNOW a) pay better, b) have more responsibility and c) will look way better on a resume. I've already gone in and talked to one person about one of the jobs (which should be posted on the HR website today), and have a feeling that I'll get an interview (we just met to talk about the position because someone in my department recommended me for the position that's about to go open). The thing is, getting just to the interview part might take forever--the job has to be posted two weeks, then they have to sort through the applications, do interviews, do second interviews....I'm thinking, realistically, IF I got through the second set of interviews it would be late February. The employers of the job I just interviewed for will already have long ago made up their mind. So, I don't know...

I guess this is all a moot point--I don't know for 100% I'll get a second interview or that I'll even get this job. And the other job--who knows? I hate being in limbo, but what am I gonna do?

No comments: