Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Last Day

Jeez, I guess I didn't realize I hadn't posted in two weeks.

So, I sent my manager my letter of resignation on Sunday and haven't heard anything from her since. I'm sure this means that she's pissed at me. Gee, I guess this would mean something to me if a) I had done something wrong, but last time I checked I had the RIGHT to quit and b) I cared. However, since neither of those things are true (I didn't do anything wrong and I do not, in all honesty, care if she's pissed at me), I guess I'll just write this job off as another experience.

I decided to quit for several reasons. First, I'm tired of working crappy shifts late into the night or at the butt crack of dawn for very very little money. Second, this place is managed horribly. Third, and I know this isn't going to sound very nice, but I'm tired of working with undergraduates. Correction, I'm tired of working with some of the undergraduates I currently work with. I actually like the people at the JH branch I'm currently working with a lot better than the ones at the JH I used to work at. I don't think I'm better than they are, or smarter--I'm not that obnoxious--I'm just in an entirely different place in my life. That and I'm more mature and it makes dealing with their drama and temper tantrums (I'm thinking of one particular employee, especially) much much more difficult. I'm also tired of some of my co-workers taking their bad days out on me (see above comment about maturity). I used to have to put up with shit from other volunteers when I was in Peace Corps (where it was much more understandable because of the constant stress we were all under), and I'm frankly tired of having to deal with it. My tolerance for that is much lower than it was before. Sometimes, if you're nice and try to be understanding and empathetic in these sorts of situations (i.e. thinking to oneself, "B is being a total dick, but he's had a really bad day so I'm going to turn the other cheek and give him a break....like I did last week and the week before that.") you end up getting stepped on repeatedly.

So, I'm done. I mailed my boss my letter of resignation last Sunday and haven't heard anything since. I assume, knowing her, this is because she's pissed at me, which only proves the aforementioned point I made about the management. Last time I checked, I had a right to quit my job. I gave her two weeks notice, so what the fuck is her problem?

I still haven't decided if I'm going to get another job. I applied for one at the University that's a bit more in my line of work and will be a good resume builder, but I haven't decided if I'll be disappointed if I don't get a call back. I guess I should just shut up and enjoy my free time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Robin! I am working in a coffee shop too, but I like the undergrads I work with (guess I'm not as "mature" as you--he he he, you're THIRTY!) Sounds like you had it rough, though. What will you do with all your free time?